Monday 24 June 2013

My Hair Journey

Growing up, I always thought of myself as an 'fugly' child.  I was a tomboy at heart in a house full of girlie girls (save my Dad of course...).  In recent years I've come into my own style-wise.  I absolutely love my hair and I would not have it any other way. 

This was an interview intended for another blog but I thought it would be fun sharing it with you.   So if you have any questions feel free to leave a comment and I'll get back to you........ Toddles!

How long have you been natural?
I have been natural since 2001 and I started my locs 31st of January 2008

Why did you decide to go natural?
I was never happy with my hair relaxed.  I remember as a child I would beg my mother for a perm because all the girls in school had it and they looked more grown up.  I remember sitting in the chair thinking that I would transform from an ugly caterpillar to a beautiful butterfly with my newly permed hair.

Big Mistake!!  My hair didn’t take to the relaxer and due to my high pain threshold - as indicated in my other posts - I would always end up with a burnt scabby scalp. 
My Afro in 2001
During my undergraduate, I just got to a point where enough was enough!!  I started to braid my hair with extensions and ‘waited’ for the relaxed hair to fall off.  I absolutely loved the flexibility my natural hair gave me in the UK.  I could switch between two-strand twists and bone straight pressed hairstyles. 

My transition to natural hair was a journey of self-discovery while my journey to locs was one of self-assuredness.  I knew I wasn’t going to go back to the creamy crack, and managing my afro was getting cumbersome, so the only option I was willing to try was to loc my hair.  It wasn’t a drastic change; I had maintained my natural hair using two-strand twists for about four years.  Most people at that point already assumed that I had locs, so I took the plunge.

With my parents took the ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ approach.  My mother had always supported the move to natural hair but I think my parent’s apprehension was more towards how the negative connotations towards locs would affect me getting a job.   
My starter locks around July 2008
What do you do, and how does your hair affect your job or vice versa?
At the time I started my locs I was in the final year of my Ph.D. No one cared about the state of my hair because no one saw me.  This was advantageous because even the best-kept locs at the starter stage can look a little nappy, and frankly I looked like a boy!

My corporate career started in Nigeria, so by the time I joined the rat race my locs were fairly mature.  My first Job was at a well-known Investment Bank in Nigeria.  My hair wasn’t long enough to put into a bun, so I would have my locs curled and styled to take to work.  At the time I never really thought about what impact my locs would have on people’s impression on me.

The reality of the situation is this – Employers that are too focused on what your hair is as opposed to what value you bring with regards to your skills are short sighted.  As an employee your responsibility to ensure that you are tidy and presentable to clients at all time, regardless if you have a weave, relaxed, braided, natural or loc’d hair.
Curling my hair
The result, obviously I was bored at work, Aug 2010
Have you been to Nigeria since you went natural?
 Yes I have

What was your experience being natural in Nigeria?
My initial experience in Nigeria was not a happy one, hair-wise.  When I would come home on Christmas vacations, I could never find a hairdresser that would not try to convince me to relax my hair!  They mistreated my hair and couldn’t understand why an African woman would have natural hair for non-religious reasons!!!

These vacation experiences contributed towards the transition from Afro to Locs.  I knew I wouldn’t be happy with how I would have to maintain my hair in Nigeria, so I decided to loc before I moved back home.  In a lot of ways maintaining locs is easier than maintaining an Afro.

Having locs in Nigeria has also been an interesting experience.
  1. Is that all your hair?
  2. No really?  What extentions did you put?
  3. Really is that all your hair?  I thought it was braids!!
  4. How long have you had your hair like this?
  5. Really?  And you haven’t changed your hair since?
  6. What happens when you want to do another style?  Do you have to cut it off?
  7. What do you mean your not considering cutting your locs off anytime soon?
Above are the typical questions women typically ask me on a day-to-day basis.  I’ve even had a woman pull on my hair because she wasn’t convinced I was telling the truth.

What are the challenges you’ve encountered since going natural?
Maintenance has always been an issue for me.  I am lazy when it comes to my hair, so I’m always on the lookout for stylists that can help me maintain my hair.  Finding stylists in Nigeria has always been an issue.

What is your routine?
Once a month I wash, deep condition and re-loc the base of my locs.  To loc I use a shea butter and coconut oil mix.  I then will sit under a hair dryer to dry my roots and let the rest of my hair air dry.  This helps retain moisture within the hair, which helps my hair feel soft.


I would not recommend using bees wax because it is heavy and tends to fix lint into the hair giving it a permanent grey look.  Locking Gel is also a massive no-no.  Locking gel tends to dry out your hair making it brittle and hard.

In-between hair appointments I maintain my hair with shea butter whips, almond oil and tea-tree sprays for my scalp.  The key is always to ‘listen’ to your hair.  Shea butter tends to be heavy so if I do use it I use it sparingly to avoid build up.  I stay way from petroleum-based products because they build up residue in the hair and can be difficult to get out.




On occasion I do like to dye my hair (yes, I do get bored of my hair from time to time).  I use semi-permanent dyes and I tend to leave those treatments far and few between because they can dry out your hair.




Who are your natural hair Idols?
Before they chopped off their locs, my hair idols were India Aire and Lauren Hill.

I Love Love Love Love Franchesca Ramsey on YouTube (Chescalocs & Chescaleigh).  She has inspired me to experiment with my hair, which has added an element of fun to my style.



Closer to home, there is Nibi - owner of the Kinky Apothecary blog.  She is the expert of all things Natural Hair!!

No comments:

Post a Comment